Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Thoughts Of Tommy Makem




I am honored to have had the pleasure of caring for Mr. Makem in our facility during his final days. Aside from being overwhelmingly talented, Mr. Makem was a very sweet and very stoic man whom many of us fell in love with immediately. The love and support his three sons and daughter gave him until the end was amazing. What a beautiful family he has left behind to carry on his legacy. Rest well, my sweet angel. Maureen

first met Tommy way, way back when I was Cubmaster for St. Joseph's Cub Scout Pack in Dover and he would bring his kids to the meetings. He was a friendly, down-to-earth guy at that time and remained the same despite the popularity and fame that followed. He will be sorely missed by many.

I work at the Dover Post Office and as a Past
Window Clerk remember him coming in all the time with great jokes and such humor. My prayers are with his family and friends at this time as he will be greatly missed. God Bless.

It was our great plivilage to have known Tommy and Mary and family for over 30 years.He and the Clancys made us proud of our heritage and shared the best of our Irishness with countries all over the world.He was a witty charming erudite man and faced his illness bravely and is not alone ahuge loss to his family but to all his fans and those lucky enough to have known him. "Ni beit a leithead ann aris" WE (will not see his likes again)

I first met Tommy when I was 8 years old and my Grandmother wanted me to meet someone who was from her Mother's area Keady, Armagh, Ireland.
Tommy and the Clancy Brothers performed at the City Hall on St. Patrick's Day.
I have met him in line while waiting to renew our registration and for someone who didn't know who I was, I felt as though I had personally known him for my entire life. He will be truly missed.

I was 3 years old, when my mother put Tommy's records on the HiFi so I could take my nap in the afternoon. His melodies stayed with me throughout my life and inspired me to become a folk singer when I was 40!

Here is our Irish Band's Tribute to Tommy:

Tommy’s Great Landing

A plucking and frolicking brogue-bended rover
Came docking in Logan, and boiled the land over.
And brought me the dozens of Irish Great cousins
Who before his great landing were strangers to me.

He charmed up a band of sweet knights from the Suir
And began - like the lot of us - freckled and poor
And they brought me the stories of starving and glories
That before his great landing were strangers to me.

With a smile for the salt, but a sad poet’s bounty,
He greened my soul gentle, but screamed for the county
And sang me the wonders of green-Ulster thunder
That before his great landing were strangers to me.

In the decades America sputtered and worried
He woke up the humor and Irish we’d buried
And urged us refasten our ancestor passion
That before his great landing were strangers to me.

With a toe in Armaugh and a pillow in Dover,
He coughed and he toppled and sank in the clover,
He left me the visions and minstrel decisions
That before his great landing were strangers to me.

John J Cronin
"Trinity" 8/2/2007

Tommy Makem was truly a "Man of the World". Revered, respected, and admired by the high and the low of humanity. Quick with wit and song that would lift you up in spirit and endeavor. Ever ready to open his heart and home (along with wife Mary) whenever asked. He spread Celtic spirit,grace and harmony for the good of all. His good will continue to grow to the benefit of all. We will miss his physical presence while enjoying his having passed by.

My friends and I from New York first saw Tommy Makem and The Clancy Brothers at Carnegie Hall I believe it was 1962. There were about twenty four of us and it was our first time at Carnegie Hall!

Tommy was just incredible with his wonderful ability to tell old Irish Tales,sing like no other and play his pipe it was a night we recall quite often when we reminisce those special times in our lives.

I saw Tommy sing and play many times in New Hampshire to sold out audiences. You walked away smiling and humming a little tune he had sung.

When Tommy's Grand-daughter Molly received her first Communion at St. Mary's was another time I saw him as a loving Grand-father so very proud of his daughter Katie, for so many, many accomplishments but most importantly her gift of his precious Molly.

Many times I was priviledged to hear him sing with his three sons,Conor,Shane and Rory.

I felt him radiate his pride in the ability of his sons to follow in his footsteps and keep singing Irish songs and telling folk tales.

I hope they keep his tradition going for years to come.

Katie too shone in her own way acting and singing as well. Katie has a magnificient voice that I hope she continues to share with everyone as well.

You are home now Tommy with Mary and all your folks. You will be missed but your spirit,songs and gentle way will live on forever.
God bless,

No comments: