Saturday, August 18, 2007

Tommy remembered continued


What are your remembrances of Tommy Makem?



A special visit to Dover
Since first hearing him in 1984, I've listened to Tommy nearly every day. I went to every concert within a four-hour radius of my home in Illinois, and always went back to say hello. He was unfailing kind and gracious--the loveliest man I've ever known.

In 1990 on a family vacation, by sheer good luck, we were staying at a B & B in Dover the same night that Tommy was opening the Cocheco Arts Festival for the summer.

It had rained that afternoon, so the concert was moved to the high school. I will never forget my delight when Tommy, after the first song, looked down into the audience, and looking straight at me said, "We have people here from all over ...Illinois!... Somersworth..."

After the concert I stopped backstage for a couple of pictures and a chat. On my way out I admired Molly (about a month old?) in her mother's arms. Tommy had that special touch that made you feel you were the most important person there. He will always have a very special place in my heart.


Will Miss His Concerts
We used to go to all of his concerts for the Firemen at Dover High School and every year we added more to our group, who became great followers of Tommy. Schooner Fare, Eugene, Shaw Brothers, along with Tommy, gave such a great concert, always to a sell out crowd, and Mary Maken was such a great hostess that we all were so sad when they stopped the concerts there. Then we hoped when the Elks started their Irish Festival it would continue. We all tried to see Tommy at the Opera House and anywhere else that we could. OH, HOW HE WILL BE MISSED!!! He does have four great children that can continue his legend, BLESS YOU ALL.


TOMMY MAKEM'S IRISH PAVILION - THANK YOU TOMMY
Dear Tommy,

Thank you, for Tommy Makem's Irish Pavilion.
Thank you, for some of the best years of our lives.

We, "The Makem Crew" as we are proud to call ourselves, have been privileged to work for, and learn from, such a great human being.

Makem's was our home away from home for fourteen years, and a better home had no man.

You touched our lives and for that we are most grateful. You were the gentlest most unassuming person I have ever met.

I see you, sitting drining a cup of afternoon tea and having the chat. That same evening, I see you commanding a room ful of adoring fans.

Now you're leading God's Heavenly Choir
You singing low and the rest singing higher
I hope you find that telephone wire.....

Always the warrior to the end, you never once gave up the fight. "I've just turned a corner" you said, when last we spoke.

Till we meet again!

You're just around that corner
One day we will catch up
Then we'll laugh and sing together
And have "a little cup"

Annmarie and The Makem Crew


He saved my life
I was very depressed and drinking a lot in the mid 70's and I was just wishing to die ...I had bought an old Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem "record" 33&1/3 rpm I put on my Koss head sets and started to listen...now I had heard this Irish folk and Celtic stuff before and liked it an off shoot from the old folk singing days of the 60's.... but that day Tommy's voice came through and touched my soul I felt good for the first time in awhile.it was still several years before I found AA and sobriety.... but something in the sound of Irish music as sung by Tommy reached in and was able to tell me that you can feel good about something again.....I just feel awful about his death he was a dear friend that died.... a dear friend that will be missed..... I saw him in concert about 10 times over the next 35 years or so and talked to him on only two occasions ...but I was able to tell him last summer at the Cleveland Irish Music Festival how I felt and what he meant to me.....I believe he could be a saint he was for sure a real messenger for God in my life....... God truly used his voice,and his writing.....I have other musings about how his music effected other significant people in my life....PS most of us are Jewish by the way....




The Godfather of Irish Music
I have always enjoyed Tommy Makem's singing. I tried to make most of his concerts at the Rochester Opera House and when he played at Henry Law Park. I can remember him when I was a young child in Lynn, Mass. My father was a fireman and would always get the detail at City Hall so he could see Tommy Makem and Liam Clancy. My mom was a big fan of his also. She passed away 2 1/2 years ago and I know she and my dad will be happy to see the best Irish Legend ever walk through the doors of heaven! May God bless his family through this very difficult time. Just remember all the memories that can never die! That helps get through the sadness that comes with losing a loved one. Someday we will be reunited with those loved ones who have gone before us. My sympathy and prayers are with you.


The Bard of Armagh Has Simply Changed His Venue
I had the great honor of shaking Tommy Makem's hand on only 3 brief occasions over 40 years - at Carnegie Hall, in a private hame in Binghamton, NY, and, lastly, at the State Fairgrounds in Syracue, NY - but he has filled untold thousands of blissful listening hours for me through his concerts and recordings.

For the gift he was to our world I will always be grateful, and I have no doubt that an honored place has been set aside for him in the Heavenly Choir.


My Heritage Remembered
When I was a young lady many, many years ago, my Dad made it clear that I was third generation Irish and should be proud of it. I was and still am, which is where Mr. Makem comes in.

At about this time, I began looking into what made someone Irish, and music was such a large part of that composition. Then I heard the Clancy Brothers with Tommy Makem and I understood what it was to be Irish.

His clear tones, and lovely music will always be a part of who I am and for that I can only offer the simple words, Thank you.


Tommy Makem
I have been a fan of Tommy Makem's music for many years and the past two years have had the pleasure of being on the Irish Festival Cruise where he was a star performer. He brought a smile to every face and a few tears to our eyes. We will miss you Tommy and thank you for the music and the craic.


The Bard of Armagh, the world has lost a wonderful man.
I met Tommy Makem at The Irish 2000 Festival in Altamont,N.Y.,a kinder and gentle person you would be hard pressed to find.A man at the forefront of Irish Music here and around the world,a great family man and ambassador of Ireland.He was a Celebrity who would always have time for a chat or short story and would probably cringe at being called Celebrity.His presence,talent,and love of life will truly be missed.God Bless All.


Tommy Makem
I am honored to have had the pleasure of caring for Mr. Makem in our facility during his final days. Aside from being overwhelmingly talented, Mr. Makem was a very sweet and very stoic man whom many of us fell in love with immediately. The love and support his three sons and daughter gave him until the end was amazing. What a beautiful family he has left behind to carry on his legacy. Rest well, my sweet angel. Maureen


Knew Tommy over 30 years ago
I first met Tommy way, way back when I was Cubmaster for St. Joseph's Cub Scout Pack in Dover and he would bring his kids to the meetings. He was a friendly, down-to-earth guy at that time and remained the same despite the popularity and fame that followed. He will be sorely missed by many.


Tommy Will Be Greatly Missed.
I work at the Dover Post Office and as a Past
Window Clerk remember him coming in all the time with great jokes and such humor. My prayers are with his family and friends at this time as he will be greatly missed. God Bless.


Braveheart that was Tommy Makem
It was our great plivilage to have known Tommy and Mary and family for over 30 years.He and the Clancys made us proud of our heritage and shared the best of our Irishness with countries all over the world.He was a witty charming erudite man and faced his illness bravely and is not alone ahuge loss to his family but to all his fans and those lucky enough to have known him. "Ni beit a leithead ann aris" WE (will not see his likes again)


A true gentle man.
I first met Tommy when I was 8 years old and my Grandmother wanted me to meet someone who was from her Mother's area Keady, Armagh, Ireland.
Tommy and the Clancy Brothers performed at the City Hall on St. Patrick's Day.
I have met him in line while waiting to renew our registration and for someone who didn't know who I was, I felt as though I had personally known him for my entire life. He will be truly missed.


Tommy's Great Landing
I was 3 years old, when my mother put Tommy's records on the HiFi so I could take my nap in the afternoon. His melodies stayed with me throughout my life and inspired me to become a folk singer when I was 40!

Here is our Irish Band's Tribute to Tommy:

Tommy’s Great Landing

A plucking and frolicking brogue-bended rover
Came docking in Logan, and boiled the land over.
And brought me the dozens of Irish Great cousins
Who before his great landing were strangers to me.

He charmed up a band of sweet knights from the Suir
And began - like the lot of us - freckled and poor
And they brought me the stories of starving and glories
That before his great landing were strangers to me.

With a smile for the salt, but a sad poet’s bounty,
He greened my soul gentle, but screamed for the county
And sang me the wonders of green-Ulster thunder
That before his great landing were strangers to me.

In the decades America sputtered and worried
He woke up the humor and Irish we’d buried
And urged us refasten our ancestor passion
That before his great landing were strangers to me.

With a toe in Armaugh and a pillow in Dover,
He coughed and he toppled and sank in the clover,
He left me the visions and minstrel decisions
That before his great landing were strangers to me.

John J Cronin
"Trinity" 8/2/2007


Man of the World
Tommy Makem was truly a "Man of the World". Revered, respected, and admired by the high and the low of humanity. Quick with wit and song that would lift you up in spirit and endeavor. Ever ready to open his heart and home (along with wife Mary) whenever asked. He spread Celtic spirit,grace and harmony for the good of all. His good will continue to grow to the benefit of all. We will miss his physical presence while enjoying his having passed by.


Carnegie Hall and Molly's First Holy Communion
My friends and I from New York first saw Tommy Makem and The Clancy Brothers at Carnegie Hall I believe it was 1962. There were about twenty four of us and it was our first time at Carnegie Hall!

Tommy was just incredible with his wonderful ability to tell old Irish Tales,sing like no other and play his pipe it was a night we recall quite often when we reminisce those special times in our lives.

I saw Tommy sing and play many times in New Hampshire to sold out audiences. You walked away smiling and humming a little tune he had sung.

When Tommy's Grand-daughter Molly received her first Communion at St. Mary's was another time I saw him as a loving Grand-father so very proud of his daughter Katie, for so many, many accomplishments but most importantly her gift of his precious Molly.

Many times I was priviledged to hear him sing with his three sons,Conor,Shane and Rory.

I felt him radiate his pride in the ability of his sons to follow in his footsteps and keep singing Irish songs and telling folk tales.

I hope they keep his tradition going for years to come.

Katie too shone in her own way acting and singing as well. Katie has a magnificient voice that I hope she continues to share with everyone as well.

You are home now Tommy with Mary and all your folks. You will be missed but your spirit,songs and gentle way will live on forever.
God bless,




May the road rise up to meet you.........
I grew up in a large Irish community and family in Boston. Tommy Makem and the Clancy brothers were a staple for Irish music in any house I knew. I had the opportunity to see them in concert at Symphony Hall in Boston.There were people dancing in the aisles with members of the group joining in. It was a wonderful experience. Their songs have been passed on to my children. My sons favorite is Johnson's Motor Car. He is 10. We have been lucky to have been exposed to music of my Family's heritage. Tommy's music will be forever with us until we meet again. God Bless to his family.


A Gentleman and a Scholar
A true gentleman and a scholar. I had the ultimate pleasure to travel with Tommy as his guitarist during part of the last 12 years. The opportunity to work with Tommy was an extreme honor and wonderful learning experience. The world is a better place to have had him for so many years and we will all miss him. Rest in peace, Tommy.




He was the greatest singer & human being I ever met
I FELL IN LOVE WITH THE CLANCY'S & TOMMY MAKEM WHEN I WAS GROWING UP IN MASSACHUSETTS.I WENT TO THEIR CONCERTS TWICE A YEAR IN BOSTON ,UNTIL I LEFT MASS. IN 1968.I HAVE ALL THEIR ALBUMS(ONE EVEN AUTOGRAPHED BY ALL FOUR)I AM OF IRISH DESENT& THEY JUST MADE ME MORE AWARE & PROUD!!TOMMY HAD THE BEST VOICE OF THEM ALL.YOU COULD HEAR A PIN DROP WHEN HE STARTED ON HIS SHOE AS PART OF "THE COBBLER".

I'M SURE I DROVE MY PARENTS NUTS WITH THEIR MUSIC,I PLAYED IT DAY & NIGHT!!TOMMY WILL BE SORELY MISSED BY ALL.THE WORLD IS A BIT DARKER WITHOUT HIM IN IT.BUT I HAVE SO MANY FOND MEMORIES OF HIM & THE CLANCY'S.HE ,TOM & PADDY WILL NO DOUBT PUT ON ONE HECK OF A SHOW FOR HEAVEN!!!GOD SPEED ,DEAR TOMMY!! I WILL MISS YOU!


World famous, but always humble
I went to Tommy Makem's Pavillion on West 57th Street to hear him many times. There was not a hint of celebrity about him. He spoke to anybody and everybody and not as if he was a star. He walked humbly with his Lord. He lifted the spirits of millions and was loved by all. May the angels lead him unto paradise......


Hail and Farewell from Seattle WA
Greetings and deep condolences to the family and friends of Tommy Makem from his fans and friends here in the Pacific Northwest! I hadn't seen Tommy since September 1989; but I had the good fortune to see almost all of his and Liam Clancy's duo performances in the Washington DC area (when I was growing up in Maryland); and was especially privileged to see him with the Clancy Brothers during their Reunion tour in Ireland, when I was studying in Dublin in the fall of 1984. Performers of Tommy's caliber come along in centuries; they don't just come out of the woodwork every day.

I continue to be amazed at my good fortune to have met him and Liam on several occasions after shows in DC and elsewhere. In particular, after one show at the Ireland's Four Provinces pub outside of DC in 1986, I discovered that Tommy also had an interest in Irish/Celtic archaeology and mythology. I was working and doing graduate study in archaeology at the time; and I found out that we both had visited some of the same prehistoric sites in Ireland, including Navan Fort and the Newgrange passage tomb in the Boyne Valley. On that, and several subsequent occasions, he talked with me at great length about Celtic archaeology and mythology, as well as music and songwriting; and I remember him saying something to the effect that he'd like to participate in an archaeological dig one day when he had the time. I had always been awed by his quality of performance and musicianship; now I was taken quite by surprise by what a regular, down-to-earth type he was in person.

I love and miss Tommy very deeply, and wish I had gotten to know him better than I did. His career may have spanned half a century; but it still seems to soon for him to depart. Slan go foill, a chara...


He played at our college
I'll never forget seeing Makem & Clancy at my small college in Millersville, Pa in 1977. They didn't play on a large stage or in the gymnasium, but in a small cozy room in the 2nd floor of our student union bldg. We enjoyed their wonderful music up close and personal, as we were only a few feet away from the band. I'm digging out my Makem & Clancy tapes. They brought the best of Ireland right to us.


One of the greatest
I first met Tommy in the early 70s in Montreal at The Hunters Horn.

I visited the club for 5 days and enjoyed the music and the fellowship which Tommy and the Clancy Bros offered. I have memories of Tommy which will last a lifetime. Last time I saw him was in St John's Newfoundland during the winter of 2006/7.

My condolonces to his family.

I will remember him forever.


Tommy Makem
I live back in Ireland now but I did live in Dover and remember how Tommy and a group of people got together and started the Seacoast Irish Society I was so glad since I didn't have any connection to any groups in Boston and goods we shared before return to Ireland will stay with me forever. His family have such warm hearts and I send them my best wishes at this time. Yvonne Lacey of Co. Wexford (


Come On Lads, Come On Lassies
I didn't know until a few years ago that Tommy Makem was still alive. I am a young folk musician and grew up listening to and singing the Makem / Clancy music and loving it, but I thought those guys had passed on. It was with such excitement that I saw Tommy for the first time in Milford, CT back in 2002.

My friends and I asked if we could take a picture with him, and I still remember him corralling us together like a school teacher or priest saying, "Come on lassies, come on lads, time for a picture." I saw him for the last time in Milford again this past March. You couldn't tell he was suffering.

He commanded our audience like a general and infused joy and comfort and peace in all of us. I have never had that experience with anyone else. I felt very close to him, althugh I only saw him a few times. I'm sure he's gone to a good place, and hopefully some day we will be able to sing with him again in a better world than this. In the meantime it's our job to do what he told us to at the end of his concert in Milford: "Sing. Sing every day. Sing whether you can sing or not!" God bless him.


Tommy Makem
When I was a child, I met a someone at a Sunday gathering. He was tall and thin, kind, soft spoken, and laughed well. This young man spent his time with me while the adults visited. He taught me how to play jacks. Though I was only five or so, this memory has stayed with me throughout my life. That kind young man was Tommy Makem.


Fare Thee Well to You My Own True Love--I am Going Far Away
An era has ended, the lads are almost all gone home. So I'll gently rise and I'll softly go, good night and joy be with you all. God Bless.


The Man Is Gone But His Spirit Will Never Leave!
I saw Tommy Makem and the Clancy Brothers for the first time at Brooklyn College in 1968. I went with a girlfriend and her family and thought we were going to see the Pope. They were extremely jubilant that they were performing in Brooklyn and they were actually going to see them. It didn't take me long to see why they were excited... they were outstanding and brought an electricity to the room that I had never experienced.

Tommy Makem will never die... anyone that has heard him will always hear him...

Schlante' Tommy!


A Star struck fan
Between the years of 1980 and 1990 I lived in the great city of Milwaukee WI. During the mid 80's I attended the Irish Fest and to my great delight Tommy was playing with Liam.

It was a very small crowd and the stages were very intimate. I was beside myself as I was able to sit but mere paces from the great Tommy Makem, I was in heaven.

After the show I went on stage and introduced myself and told him that I was from Dover and proceeded to tell Tommy that he was my biggest fan, of course meaning just the opposite. He gave me a smile and I quickly excused myself.

My sons have been sung to sleep with his songs and will know of the Dover Boy who was a great singer of Irish music.

God Bless you Tommy Makem, you will live on in our hearts and music forever more.


Fond Memories
I really enjoyed listening to Tommy's Irish Brogue and music. He will be missed. He was a great tribute to mankind.


A "Close Up View' of a real Gentleman
I am most fortunate to have had Tommy Makem as a neighbor for the last 15 years.

So many times, my son and I were treated to a delightful baritone ditty or story while walking through the neighborhood.

There was absolutely no difference in the warm, engaging 'public' persona Tommy showed on stage, and the kind neighbor who always made time to chat.

Todays 'celebrities' could certainly take a lesson from Tommy's character and integrity.

Tommy, we'll miss you, but your memory and music will live on forever!


Hot Evenings at he Cocheco Arts Festivals
It must have been in the mid 1990's, Tommy playing and singing "Dancing with Bears". All the little children dancing in circles, the crowd swaying back and forth and an atmosphere of pure silliness and enjoyment. My daughter was one of those little children. She is 25 now and living far away from Dover. When I told her Tommy passed away, she remembered "There's nothing on Earth Uncle Waldo won't do, so he can go waltzing ....Wa Wa Wa Walting...Waltzing with bears". I was surprised when she shed a tear. But THAT was the kind of impact Tommy Makem had on people. Creating happiness, smiles and life lasting memories.

My condolences to the Makem family.

Denis Riley
Loris, SC


Tommy Makem
I attended a number of his concerts over the years especially when he was teamed with Liam Clancy and saw him at Symphony Hall in Boston when the Clancy Brothers did a reunion tour back in the 80's. He brought so much pleasure to millions of fans.

If Tommy Maken had a signature song among his many, I would think it was "Four Green Fields."

God Bless Him.


A true gentleman
My wife had the opportunity to meet Tommy during his struggle with Cancer. She did not know who he was, during the conversation she asked what he did for work. He replied,,,well, I'm semi-retired. Then offhandedly she asked what he did before he retired. In a soft unassuming voice,He replied, "I was a folk singer", that is like asking Bruce Springsteen what has he been doing for the last 20 years and have him say. "I've been playing some music".....no pretense, no ego. A great man will be missed. Ill practice my tin whistle a bit slower tonight and pray...


Ireland's Tommy Maken
I was in Ireland for two weeks at the end of June and I was meeting some family members of a dear friend of mine and when they heard I was from Portsmouth NH, they immediately said: "doesn't Tommy Makem live in Dover NH" - I was happily proud to say, 'yes, indeed he does and NH considers him one of our own.' He was a special and lovely man. What a sad loss for his family and legions of friends and admirers. May he rest in peace.


Rest in peace
My prayers are with Tommy's family, friends and all of us who were so fortunate to know him. God speed my good friend


Grew up in Dover, met him in Ireland
I remember seeing him in concert various times in Dover and in Rochester but it wasn't until my mom and I took a trip to Ireland in 2005 that I met Tommy Makem in person. We were visiting the Newgrange mound and I saw him walking up the path. We went over to say hi to him and tell him we were from Dover and enjoyed his music. He was so kind and funny and took a picture with us. He told us things about Newgrange mound that the tour guides didn't even know! I'll never forget meeting him in Ireland after growing up across town from where he lived.


Tommy Makem
Thank you for the great memories,the Bard of Armagh.


You will be missed
Tommy was one of a kind who had all the qualities so many never achieve. You will be missed.


Great Irishman, Great entertainer
Over many decades I have enjoyed the works of Tommy Makem and remember vividly his appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show. My sons, musicians, 29 and 24 yrs of age who love traditional Irish music rekindled my interest and we saw live perfomances (in Toronto, ON) and most recently at the Irish Festival in Cleveland Ohio last summer. I was so impressed with his storytelling also. A real inspiration!


His music will live on in our household!
My husband, Dan, knew Tommy Makem very well. Tommy always took the time to teach my husband some of his music, even though he didn't sing professionally. My husband asked Tommy if he could change the name of his song, "Gentle Annie", to "Gentle Sandy" after me and he said he was honored and hoped that I enjoy it very much! Last year, I downloaded the words to Tommy Makem's songs and made a song book for my husband. I can guarantee that Tommy's music will live on in our household!


My postal encounter with Tommy Makem
I was standing in line in the Dover Post Office last winter. About eight persons behind me was a tall man, dressed in a long coat, a winter cap pulled down. All I could see was his face – at a distance. That looks like Tommy Makem, I thought. I gave several quick side glances as I waited, and he grinned back at my recognition.

I decided to wait for him in the lobby after my business at the P.O. window. As he came up to me, I extended my hand, saying I was a fan and I had seen him often on his long walks through town. I had seen two of his concerts in recent years.

Tommy was a gentleman, even with a slightly overawed fan. We chatted for a few seconds, then walked outside. I watched him get into his car. It was the last I saw of a true musical legend.


Tommy Makem will be missed
I was Tommy's recording engineer for many years. The news hit me hard because the last time I talked to him, he dismissed his illness, almost as a minor inconvenience. He assured me that he was feeling good. I am full of memories of working with him — some of the most memorable sessions I've ever had.


A sad day for Irish Eyes
What a sad day to hear of the passing of our master story teller, poet, and musician. My family waits season after season to sit in the park, singing with Tommy, hoping he sings one of our favorite songs just one more time. My heart reaches out to Tommy's family, near and far, but it sings in honor and prayer to our Irish "Owen Roe" (sp??) It is now your legend we will tell as Irish music blasts with might behind us. Godspeed Tommy, we will miss you!!


You will be missed our friend
We have lost a true friend, a talented man and Tommy you will be remembered always for your spirit, wit and the friend you were. We love you.


Tommy Makem
Tommy Makem and the Clancy Brothers ignited my love of Irish Music more than 45 years ago; a love that has never nor will ever die. A great man has died and we are lessened accordingly.


The greatest of gentlemen and a "gentle man"
I will never forget the first time I heard Tommy Makem sing!!! I remember the hairs standing up on my arms when he hit those notes and when I listened to his voice filled with passion. I knew then that he was a man who not only sang with passion and conviction, but one who lived his life the same way. I had the opportunity to meet Tommy and speak to him on several occasions over the years and he never, ever changed. The last time I saw Tommy was at a concert at The Birchmere and when he sang "Four Green Fields" I sat and cried, again!!! Tommy, I know you will be missed not only by your loving family but by the thousands and thousands who loved you so. I know you are in a better place and singing with the angels. God speed my friend, God speed.


A link to my dad
Tommy Makem was an Irishman in every sense of the word. He loved a good song, a good story and a captive audience for both. My dad, God be good to him, couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, but he could spin a tale. Maybe they'll meet up in Heaven and share a tale or two. Tommy, the angels will rejoice while the earth weeps. Prayers for all you leave behind until you are together again. Amen.

No comments: