Saturday, August 18, 2007

Tommy Makem ~ remembered continued


Tommy Makem a great entertainer, fine gentleman

To the editor:

I want to express our deepest sympathy to the family and friends of the late Tommy Makem, in particular, his nephews Tommy and Jimmy Sweeney who have been longtime friends of both myself and my wife.

Mr. Makem was a tremendous entertainer and a fine gentleman; his legacy will influence future entertainers for generations to come. Those of us who met him or watched him entertain were most privileged "he passed our way."

To Tommy Makem, I would say: Your neighbors respected you, While troubles neglected you, So the angels will protect you, As Heaven has now accepted you.

Ed and Lynn Higgins
Glace Bay, Nova Scotia
Canada





--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOMMY MAKEM 1932-2007

He was my mentor

He was my teacher

He was my hero

He was my friend

He was the music

He was the words

He was the story

He was the song

The singer has passed

The song will live forever


Eugene Byrne

Monday, August 6, 2007
Tommy's Great Landing


I was 3 years old, when my mother put Tommy's records on the HiFi so I could take my nap in the afternoon. His melodies stayed with me throughout my life and inspired me to become a folk singer when I was 40!

Here is our Irish Band's Tribute to Tommy:

Tommy’s Great Landing

A plucking and frolicking brogue-bended rover
Came docking in Logan, and boiled the land over.
And brought me the dozens of Irish Great cousins
Who before his great landing were strangers to me.

He charmed up a band of sweet knights from the Suir
And began - like the lot of us - freckled and poor
And they brought me the stories of starving and glories
That before his great landing were strangers to me.

With a smile for the salt, but a sad poet’s bounty,
He greened my soul gentle, but screamed for the county
And sang me the wonders of green-Ulster thunder
That before his great landing were strangers to me.

In the decades America sputtered and worried
He woke up the humor and Irish we’d buried
And urged us refasten our ancestor passion
That before his great landing were strangers to me.

With a toe in Armaugh and a pillow in Dover,
He coughed and he toppled and sank in the clover,
He left me the visions and minstrel decisions
That before his great landing were strangers to me.

John J Cronin
"Trinity" 8/2/2007



Sunday, August 5, 2007
Man of the World


Tommy Makem was truly a "Man of the World". Revered, respected, and admired by the high and the low of humanity. Quick with wit and song that would lift you up in spirit and endeavor. Ever ready to open his heart and home (along with wife Mary) whenever asked. He spread Celtic spirit,grace and harmony for the good of all. His good will continue to grow to the benefit of all. We will miss his physical presence while enjoying his having passed by.


Sunday, August 5, 2007
May the road rise up to meet you.........


I grew up in a large Irish community and family in Boston. Tommy Makem and the Clancy brothers were a staple for Irish music in any house I knew. I had the opportunity to see them in concert at Symphony Hall in Boston.There were people dancing in the aisles with members of the group joining in. It was a wonderful experience. Their songs have been passed on to my children. My sons favorite is Johnson's Motor Car. He is 10. We have been lucky to have been exposed to music of my Family's heritage. Tommy's music will be forever with us until we meet again. God Bless to his family.


Sunday, August 5, 2007
A Gentleman and a Scholar


A true gentleman and a scholar. I had the ultimate pleasure to travel with Tommy as his guitarist during part of the last 12 years. The opportunity to work with Tommy was an extreme honor and wonderful learning experience. The world is a better place to have had him for so many years and we will all miss him. Rest in peace, Tommy.




Friday, August 3, 2007
Fare Thee Well to You My Own True Love--I am Going Far Away


An era has ended, the lads are almost all gone home. So I'll gently rise and I'll softly go, good night and joy be with you all. God Bless.


Friday, August 3, 2007
The Man Is Gone But His Spirit Will Never Leave!


I saw Tommy Makem and the Clancy Brothers for the first time at Brooklyn College in 1968. I went with a girlfriend and her family and thought we were going to see the Pope. They were extremely jubilant that they were performing in Brooklyn and they were actually going to see them. It didn't take me long to see why they were excited... they were outstanding and brought an electricity to the room that I had never experienced.

Tommy Makem will never die... anyone that has heard him will always hear him...

Schlante' Tommy!


Friday, August 3, 2007
A Star struck fan


Between the years of 1980 and 1990 I lived in the great city of Milwaukee WI. During the mid 80's I attended the Irish Fest and to my great delight Tommy was playing with Liam.

It was a very small crowd and the stages were very intimate. I was beside myself as I was able to sit but mere paces from the great Tommy Makem, I was in heaven.

After the show I went on stage and introduced myself and told him that I was from Dover and proceeded to tell Tommy that he was my biggest fan, of course meaning just the opposite. He gave me a smile and I quickly excused myself.

My sons have been sung to sleep with his songs and will know of the Dover Boy who was a great singer of Irish music.

God Bless you Tommy Makem, you will live on in our hearts and music forever more.


Fond Memories


I really enjoyed listening to Tommy's Irish Brogue and music. He will be missed. He was a great tribute to mankind.

No comments: